The holiday season is all about giving, so on this week’s Cooking with the Moms podcast, we feature food blogger, Lydia Walshin, founder and director of the delicious nonprofit organization, Drop In & Decorate.
According to Lydia’s website, Drop In & Decorate is a simple concept: bake some cookies, invite friends, family, neighbors, or co-workers to stop in and help decorate, then donate your cookies to a local food pantry, emergency shelter, senior center, lunch program, or other community agency meeting the needs of food or shelter. Drop In & Decorate parties allow people to give back, and ever since the program was founded, over 24,000 cookies have been shared with those in need.
Hosting a party around the holidays makes perfect sense, but Lydia likes to remind her growing community of volunteer bakers that Drop In & Decorate is also ideal year round (think Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, group birthday parties).
Be sure to tune into the show to hear Lydia’s best tips for organizing Drop In and Decorate events — everything from contacting local agencies and stocking up on supplies to wrapping the finished cookies and keeping little bakers focused — and for her recipes for Drop In & Decorate Sugar Cookies and Drop In & Decorate Royal Icing. This month, Lydia has partnered with AllRecipes.com to mobilize their community of more than 20 million home cooks to bake and donate cookies this holiday season. Way to go Lydia … and way to spread the word!
We decided to record this particular show for two reasons. For starters, we met up with Lydia a year ago at her Rhode Island home for an afternoon of cooking and conversation. We learned about Drop In & Decorate then and have wanted to organize an event ever since. We plan to host a party around Mother’s Day, 2011 but thought it would be fun to showcase the program now as a “teaser.” We’re also participating in the first-annual Holiday Food Podcast Project. We’ve joined up with a bunch of fellow podcasters and have all agreed to record a show with a holiday food theme. We thought Drop In & Decorate would be an enticing topic, and we certainly hope you agree.
Please take some time to visit with our fellow podcasters and listen to each of their shows:
- The Because Show with Jerilyn, Susan & Amy “Like your friends in real life, but funnier.”
- Naptime Radio Heather and Kate, “keeping parents sane and entertained.”
- K ‘n A Chat Cafe Two overworked, overstressed, overachieving moms, Kirsten and Anamarie. Kirsten Nelson is the author of “Raising Remarkable Children” and Anamarie Seidel is the author of “What You Don’t Fix … Your Kids Inherit.”
- Musing Mommies A witty, informative weekly show with Kim and Dawn.
- Two Fit Chicks and A Microphone the healthy living podcast with Shauna in Scotland & Carla in Texas.
- The Stephanie and Greg Show Comedy talk radio show from married duo, Steph & Greg.
Have you ever hosted a Drop In & Decorate event? If you live in the Boston area, would you like to join us for our event in May? What are you doing this holiday season to spread good cheer?