Plant-based diets have received quite a bit of attention over the past few months … from the growing popularity of Meatless Monday to the recommendation in the new Dietary Guidelines for Americans to eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, and beans. A lot of what we do here at Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen revolves around getting more of these foods onto the family table, so we were thrilled when the National Peanut Board recently signed on as a sponsor of our podcast and blog … not to mention the fact that our kids are huge peanut butter fans.
On this week’s Cooking with the Moms podcast, we dish about the nutritional benefits of nuts and share two new recipes including this one for Peanut Butter & Honey Noodles
The National Peanut Board just launched a new website, The Skinny on Nuts, to help consumers decipher the new Dietary Guidelines. The site also features recipes, tips for bringing more plant foods to your table, and myths & truths about food allergies. It’s packed with a lot of interesting factoids too:
> Peanuts contain more protein than any nut, with 7 grams per one-ounce serving.
> Peanuts are a superfood, containing more antioxidants than broccoli, carrots, or green tea.
> Peanuts are nutrient rich, with more than 30 essential nutrients and phytonutrients.
Peanut Butter & Honey Noodles
Makes 4 Servings — This playful noodle dish is as delicious and kid friendly as it is versatile. Feel free to swap the chicken for grilled or sauteed shrimp, or make it 100% vegetarian by leaving out the chicken entirely. You can also amp up the vegetables by adding diced red bell pepper, diced peeled and seeded cucumber, or roasted diced sweet potato or butternut squash.
- 8 ounces whole wheat dried spaghetti, broken in half
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh peeled ginger (or more!)
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 scallions (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cooked chicken (about 5 ounces)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded on the large holes of a box grater (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup honey or dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
1. Cook the pasta according to package directions. While the pasta is cooking, place the peanut butter, water, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, ginger, and garlic in a large bowl and whisk until well combined. It may take a minute for the ingredients to blend together, so keep on whisking until the mixture is nice and smooth!
2. When the pasta is done, drain in a colander. Add the drained pasta, along with the scallions, chicken, and carrot to the dressing and toss well to combine. Serve in individual bowls and top with the honey roasted peanuts.
Nutrition Information per Serving (about 1¼ cups): 410 calories, 17g fat (3.5g saturated, 6g monounsaturated), 500mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate, 8g fiber, 23g protein, 80% vitamin A, 15% iron
GIVEAWAY NEWS:Thanks to our new blog and podcast sponsor, the National Peanut Board, this month’s giveaway features the super-cool 4GB UltraHD Flip Video camera (retail value, $129.99) and a peanut-lovers prize pack (valued at $100.00) filled with peanut butter, snack peanuts, and peanut flour! How cool is that? To enter, all you have to do is tell us about your favorite recipe using peanuts or peanut butter (or peanut flour), or tell us what kind of video you’d shoot if you win the Flip camera (U.S. only please).
We will enter you into the giveaway a second, third, and/or fourth time if you…
- Subscribe to our RSS feed
- Tweet about the giveaway with a link back to this post
- Share the giveaway news with your Facebook fans and friends with a link back to the post
Please be sure to leave us a new comment every time you do something extra & and GOOD LUCK! The giveaway ends on April 15th at noon, and as always we ‘ll use random.org to pick our winner.
Before we sign off, here’s another peanut-inspired recipe for your family. Think of this dip as a peanut butter fondue. Serve it to your kids with their favorite sliced or cut up fruits and veggies … and watch how fast they disappear.
Dazzling Peanut Butter Chocolate Dip
Makes 1 Serving
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 2 tablespoon low-fat plain or vanilla yogurt
1. Combine peanut butter and chocolate syrup, mixing until well blended. Stir in the yogurt. Serve with 1 cup assorted carrot and celery sticks, sliced cucumbers, apples or pear slices.
Recipe, courtesy The Skinny on Nuts
Nutrition Information per Serving: 167 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated, 4g monounsaturated), 7g protein, 18g carbohydrate, 1g fiber
We look forward reading your comments and announcing our winner soon! And by all means, if you try our recipes, let us know what your family thinks of them.
PS: We now have over 4,000 “Likes” on Facebook. Facebook is a great way to ask us questions and to exchange mealtime ideas and recipes. When you have a moment, head on over to Facebook and “Like” us 🙂
PSS: One of our podcast listeners, Elaine, owns and operates the Urban Oasis Cafe, a food truck on Long Island, NY that sells smoothies, organic juices, and nutritious snacks. She and her husband, George, hope to take their truck on the road to the Big Apple, but the costs involved in setting up business on the streets of NYC are more than they can handle. Elaine and George are trying to raise funds so they can expand the business while sticking to their goal of feeding customers healthy and affordable on-the-go foods. This week, The Meal Makeover Moms made a $50.00 contribution to their campaign. If you’re interested in learning more, check out their video on KickStart.com. We wish them the best of luck!