We don’t have a single ounce of “Martha” in our blood, so we actually surprised ourselves with these Valentine brownies. Besides the pretty hearts on top, our brownies are heart healthy too thanks to some of their star ingredients: red kidney beans, dark chocolate, walnuts, and omega-3 eggs!
Pretty artsy fartsy, don’t you think (excuse the pun)! And yes, We are on a bean dessert kick for sure. Check out our Pinterest board featuring bean desserts.
Take an index card and fold it in half. Cut out half a heart shape in the center. Unfold. Cut around the heart to create your stencil. Lay over cut brownies and dust with powdered sugar.
- ¾ cup lightly toasted walnuts
- One 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed very well
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons expeller pressed canola oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- ⅓ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the walnuts in the bowl of a food process and process until finely chopped. Remove and set aside.
- Place the beans in the food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs and oil and process until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and process until smooth. Add the chips and walnuts and pulse a few times until the chips are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake about 35 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan before slicing into 2-inch squares.
- To decorate, place a heart-shaped stencil over brownie. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Repeat until all brownies are decorated.
We promise that our next brownie recipe will not include beans, though we must admit that beans make a great addition! Check out our other bean brownie recipe: Fudgy Black Bean Brownies. And have a great Valentine’s Day!