Back to school time brings on the challenge of filling kids’ tummies with nutritious meals and snacks to fuel them throughout the day. Snacks can be especially tricky since kids tend to gravitate to salty, fatty processed foods like chips, cookies, and crackers devoid of the good nutrition they need for their bodies and their brains. This recipe for Blueberry Banana Snack Cake hits the spot as an after-school snack—serve a slice with a tall glass of low-fat milk—and it’s also ideal as a mid-morning snack to hold kids over until the lunch bell rings.
Blueberry Banana Snack Cake
Makes 8 Servings
We adapted this recipe from the Raspberry Breakfast Cake in our second cookbook, No Whine with Dinner: 150 Healthy, Kid-Tested Recipes from The Meal Makeover Moms. This version is still packed with great nutrition thanks to the whole wheat flour, flaxseed, egg, banana, and blueberries. If you have toddlers, the recipe will serve eight. If you have two teenage boys (i.e., Liz’s house), expect the cake to disappear very quickly.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 ripe, mashed banana (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly oil or coat a 9-inch round cake pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, banana, milk, sugar, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla until well blended.
4. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Arrange the blueberries evenly over the top.
5. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool (or serve while it’s still warm).
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 slice): 190 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated, 1.3g omega-3), 200mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 4g protein