When it comes to sports, The Meal Makeover Moms are Yin and Yang. Janice is an avid sports fan and wouldn’t miss a Red Sox or Patriot’s game for the world. Liz on the other hand is a fair-weather fan … at best! But when it comes to the World Series, we’re all in.
As the World Series begins tonight, the goal for family meals this week will be fast, easy, and comforting, which is why we were excited about this month’s Recipe Redux cooking challenge featuring slow cooker creations.
Our Sweet & Hearty Beef Stew recipe takes just five minutes to assemble, and then the slow cooker does the rest of the work for you. As Red Sox Nation cozies up to watch their team battle it out with the Cardinals, steamy bowls filled with a mix of lean stew beef, sweet carrots, and mushrooms are guaranteed to hit the spot.
Sweet and Hearty Beef Stew
Makes 6 Servings
Looking for a home-run recipe for your family? Try this slow cooker beef stew with three veggies: mushrooms, carrots, and peas. Serve over egg noodles (fun for kids), brown rice, or with a whole wheat roll and a salad.
- 8 ounces presliced mushrooms
- 2 pounds lean stew meat, trimmed of fat
- One 16-ounce bag baby carrots
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
1. Place the mushrooms in the bottom of a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Top with the stew meat and carrots. In a bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, maple syrup, and vinegar, and salt and pour evenly over the meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on low until the meat and carrots are tender, 6 to 7 hours.
2. When done, maintain the slow cooker on low heat. In a bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until well combined. Gently stir the cornstarch mixture and the peas into the slow cooker and cover until the liquid thickens and the peas heat through, about 5 minutes.