Warm up this winter with our fast weeknight Sweet Potato & Chicken Soup. It’s gluten free, bursting with kid-friendly flavors, and it’s packed with vitamin A, an immune booster.
And read on for links to even more healthy and hearty brews from The Meal Makeover Moms …
They’re MMM good!
It’s hard to avoid stuffy noses and colds in the winter, but eating foods rich in vitamin A (like sweet potatoes!), can keep your family’s immune system going strong. This soup is sweet (from the sweet potatoes!), so even if your kids tend to shy away from vegetables, chances are they will love every steamy spoonful.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed and cut into ¼-inch dice (about ¾ cup)
- 1 small onion, cut into ¼-inch dice (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups chicken broth, made from reduced sodium chicken bouillon or in a 32 ounce carton
- One medium sweet potato (12 ounces), peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1½ cups roughly chopped cooked chicken (about 8 ounces)
- Heat the oil in a medium-size pot over medium-low heat. Add the celery and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes. Lower the heat if the vegetables begin to brown.
- Add the chicken broth, sweet potato, and thyme, and stir to combine. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook at a low boil, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and heat through.
Here are a few more healthy MMM soups to whet your winter appetite:
Last-Minute Black Bean Soup is made with a can of black beans, frozen corn kernels, salsa, spices, and flavorful toppers like cilantro. This recipe is gluten-free!
Potato Leek Soup features potatoes, leeks, onion, and milk.
We’re sensing a pattern here: We adore canned beans, and we use them in a lot of our soups including this savory South-of-the-Border Tortilla Soup. We also toss in corn kernels, chicken, and use toppers like homemade corn tortilla chips.