These frozen chocolate-covered banana bites are made with semi-sweet chocolate chips and a crunchy coating of nutty-flavored hemp seeds, unsweetened coconut, and chopped pecans. It’s a gluten-free dessert with a healthy twist that your family will love!
First there was quinoa; then there were chia seeds; and now hemp seeds have made their way into The Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen. It took us a while to jump on the hemp seed bandwagon, but now that we’re on it, we can’t get off.
Hemp seeds (also known as hemp hearts) are the star of this week’s Cooking with the Moms radio podcast along with this recipe for Frozen Chocolate-and-Hemp-Smothered Banana Bites.
To hear all about Hemp Seeds, tune into COOKING WITH THE MOMS by clicking the play button above. And don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to our show on iTunes.
These tiny super seeds (also known as hemp hearts) are a complete protein—they contain all 21 amino acids including the 9 essential amino acids—and they have a 3:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 essential fatty acids. They’re also an excellent source of magnesium, a nutrient important for healthy blood pressure and strong bones.
Hemp seeds are versatile …
Use them as an ingredient in homemade granola bars, cookies, muffins, pancakes, or overnight oats, as a topping for salads and parfaits, as a component in coatings for chicken or fish, and blended into smoothies.
Dip banana slices in chocolate ….
… coat in the hemp seed mixture. And then freeze.
- ¼ cup hemp seeds (buy hemp seeds at Thrive Market)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons expeller pressed canola oil
- 2 medium ripe bananas, peeled and cut into twenty four ½-inch slices
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the hemp seeds, pecans, and coconut and toast, stirring constantly until lightly golden and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Lower the heat if the mixture browns too quickly. Remove from heat or transfer to a shallow bowl and cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the chocolate chips and canola oil in a double boiler over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate melts, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for about 3 minutes.
- To make the banana bites, use our (almost) mess-free dipping method: Use a toothpick or wooden skewer and insert horizontally into one banana slice. Dip carefully into the melted chocolate, coating about 80% of the slice. Dip into the hemp mixture and coat well. Place on the parchment-lined baking sheet, remove the toothpick, and repeat with the remaining banana slices.
- Place baking sheet in the freezer, making sure to keep it flat, and freeze for at least 1 hour.
Have you used hemp seeds before? Have you checked out our affiliate page on THRIVE Market?