Super Sloppy Joes
Makes 6 Servings
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 1½ cups)
- Half of a small onion, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 ¼ pounds lean ground beef or turkey (90% lean or higher)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- One 26-ounce jar pasta sauce
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, halved and lightly toasted
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the beef and garlic powder and cook, breaking up the large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat. Add the pasta sauce, reduce the heat, and simmer until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve open-face style over hamburger buns and top with Parmesan cheese.